Home Secretary Akbar Hussain Durrani said Wazir Khan Nasir was investigating a case and there was a possibility that the culprits involved in the case had carried out the attack. “The culprits did not achieve their target,” he added.
Governor Zulfiqar Ali Magsi and Chief Minister Nawab Mohammad Aslam Raisani condemned the incident. The provincial government also announced Rs2 million as compensation for the family of the martyred police constable. The banned sectarian outfit Lashkar-i-Jhangvi (LeJ) claimed responsibility for the suicide attack. Capital City Police Officer Daood Ahmad Junejo, DI Quetta Operation Hamid Shakeel and Commandant Frontier Corps reached the scene for inspection.
It is pertinent to mention here that over 250 people, including security men, were killed and hundreds of people sustained serious injuries in suicide attacks which took place in Quetta from 2004 to date. According to analysts, Pakistani media and the civil society cannot abandon their duty to highlight the woes of all those Baloch people who are being killed, tortured or abducted. We cannot remain insensitive to what is happening in our country. Pakistan’s existentialist crisis is compounding and the least we can do is to generate a healthy, informed debate on how to confront the decades of marginalization and exploitation of a province that is our very own.
Meanwhile, an inquiry commission set up by the Supreme Court for the recovery of missing persons concluded its four-day hearing here in Quetta on Friday (April 09). The commission disposed of 12 out of 52 cases of Baloch missing persons. Balochistan High Court retired judge Fazlur Rehman presided over the hearings in which the relatives of the missing persons, officials of secret agencies, police, Balochistan Levies, security forces and the home ministry appeared and recorded their statements.
Talking to the media, secretary Inquiry Commission Fareed Ahmed Khan said that nine missing persons had returned home safe while two of them were not missing persons and hence their names had been withdrawn from the list. He said the mother of another missing person had also withdrawn her case. “The commission disposed of nine out of 53 cases during the four days of hearing and it will produce its report in the Supreme Court in the next hearing,” he told the media. He said the commission would hold its next hearing in Quetta on May 3 during which it will deliberate over the recoded statements of the relatives of missing persons.
The Voice for Baloch Missing Persons (VFBMP), an organization striving for the immediate recovery of the missing persons, boycotted the hearing of the inquiry commission, saying that the commission was powerless and simply wasting time and the country’s resources. “It is the second commission set up by the Supreme Court. When the earlier commission could not produce its report, how can we trust the new one?” questioned Nasrullah Baloch, chairman VFBMP. “If the Commission had recovered even one missing person, it should produce a detailed report on where and how he/she was recovered,” he added. Nasrullah said that the few missing persons who had returned home were released as a result of their own efforts.
Senate Chairman Farooq H Naik has announced the constitution of a parliamentary committee to look into the issue of missing persons and increasing incidents of target killing in Balochistan. The government should focus on overcoming this crisis and take concrete measure to improve the deteriorating condition in Balochistan as things are getting out of hands.